June/Ukraine: Shashlik (Ukrainian meat kabobs) Шашлык

My goal is to find a recipe that works for cooks who've never been to Ukraine, who have no "swords," and who have no access to special ingredients. 

Therefore, I've combined about half a dozen recipes for the following: 


SHASHLEEK  Шашлык

Serves 6-8
  • 3 lb. pork (loin, butt, neck meat specially cut) 
  • 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar, cooking wine, or part lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 large onions 
  • 1 T. parsley 
  • 1 t. coriander 
  • 1 t. salt (less if using cooking wine) 
  • 1/4 t. pepper 
  • 3 bay leaves, torn into fourths
  • Apple or zucchini slices, optional 
  • Mineral water, optional

Cut meat into 2-inch cubes. Rub down with 1/2 cup mayo. 

Prepare marinade: Puree onions and garlic. Add seasonings (along with optional apple slices and mineral water). 

Marinate pork overnight or longer, stirring occasionally to make sure meat is evenly marinated. 

30 minutes before skewering and cooking, remove meat from refrigerator. At the same time, soak bamboo skewers for the same amount of time. 

Place meat on skewers, along with apple or zucchini slices, if desired. Don't pack skewers, leave some space between meat. 

Grill over medium-high heat for about 8-10 minutes, or until you've reached the desired doneness, rotating every 2-3 minutes for even grilling. Remove skewers from grill and let rest at least 5 minutes before eating, so they don't juice out and end up dry.

Tips: If you can find pork marbled with a lot of the darker meat, it seems like the meat is more tender. Use a meat thermometer so you DON'T overcook.



Comments

V. Gingerich said…
I used pork loin from our butchering project. I also used apple cider vinegar, no apple or zucchini, and no mineral water. Next time I'd like to try adding mineral water to the marinade and adding veggies to the sticks, but I think I'll stick with the cider vinegar, as I liked the flavor. Also, I marinaded it all afternoon, all night, and all of the next day, but it could've been longer.
P. Dyck said…
Yum! I used half apple cider vinegar and half lemon juice. Ended up marinating for 3 days, which was fine. I added sliced apples, onions and zucchini-they don't get done as quickly as the meat so they were very lightly cooked. My family likes to add extra salt at the table.
V. Gingerich said…
Thanks for that info, Trish! It's like you almost can't marinade it too long. I want to try it with apples sometime.
V. Gingerich said…
Also, my sister and I were cooking a pork roast for Sunday dinner while I was visiting her. We randomly decided to use the shashlik recipe as a marinade for the whole pork roast, and it worked well. Next time I'd marinade it longer, but it was a different twist and an easier way to get a taste of Ukraine.