September/Bulgaria: Banitsa (Cheese Pastry)

Banitsa 





This Bulgarian cheese and yogurt pastry is also popular in Romania, a street food available at many little bakeries and pastry stands. 

INGREDIENTS: 

  • 20 sheets filo (phyllo) dough; thawed according to the package instructions
  • 2 cups plain, thick yogurt (Bulgarian or Greek) 
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup butter 
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 12 oz. crumbled feta cheese


INSTRUCTIONS: 

Whisk the yogurt, eggs, butter, and baking soda together. Fold in crumbled feta cheese. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease a 12-inch springform pan. (You can also bake this in a large rectangular pan such as a 13x9.) 

Remove the filo dough from the plastic package and gently unroll one sheet. Cover the rest of the sheets with a damp towel, as they dry out quickly. 

Spread about 1/3 cup of the yogurt-egg-cheese mixture onto the filo sheet. Carefully roll up the sheet of filo dough. If it tears a little, no problem. 

Place the first roll around the outer edge of the springform pan. Repeat this step with the remaining filo sheets, connecting each roll to the last and forming a giant snail with your rolls. You may have to adjust the rolls as you near the middle. 

Pour any remaining yogurt-egg mixture on top. Brush pastry with melted butter. 

Bake for about 45--60 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. 

Cover and let cool for 10--15 minutes before serving warm. 


https://cooktoria.com/bulgarian-feta-pie-banitsa/

https://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/banitsa-bulgarian-cheese-pie/

Comments

V. Gingerich said…
Though I've eaten this pastry many times, I've never made it. So try this recipe at your own risk. This is a compilation of two recipes I found online. I will update it as soon as I do try it.